California Prisoners Make Historic Call to End Hostilities between Racial Groups in California Prisons & Jails!
Oakland- Prisoners in Pelican Bay State Prison's Security Housing Unit (SHU) have announced a push to end all hostilities between racial groups within California's prisons and jails. The handwritten announcement was sent to prison Advocacy organizations. It is signed by prisoners, identifying themselves as the PBSP-SHU Short Corridor Collective. Pelican Bay's SHU was the point of origin for last
year's hunger strikes which rocked California's prison system, at one point including the participation or nearly 12,000 prisoners in over 11 prisons throughout the state.
The statement calls for the cessation of all hostilities between groups to commence October 10, 2012, in all California prisons and county jails. The PBSP-SHU Short Corridor Collective has strongly requested that its statement be read and referred as a whole. Its can be found here : http://
- On October 10th, the Youth Justice Coalition will be holding a rally to stand in solidarity with the Prisoners of CA.
We have the duty to fight for our brothers and sisters who remain inside the walls of injustice and confined to a system that does NOT work for our community!!
Please join the YJC and Community Advocacy groups and stand in solidarity with the CA prisoners and their efforts to end racial tension within the prison walls. Please contact us ASAP if you would like to Sponsor or Speak at the Rally/Press Conference.
1. Youth Justice Coalition (sponsor)
2. Fair Chance Project (sponsor)
3. LA Community Action Network (sponsor)
4. FACTS Families To Amend CA Three Strikes" (sponsor)
5. "CA Families to Abolish Solitary Confinement" CFASC (sponsor)
6. Homies Unidos (sponsor)
7. California Faith Action (sponsor)
8. Occupy The Hood LA (sponsor)
9. Immigrant Youth Coalition (sponsor)
10. Interfaith Communities United For Justice and Peace (ICUJP)-(sponsor)
11. Rise-Up LA (sponsor)
12. Coalition To Stop Sheriff Violence (sponsor)
13. Bus Riders Union (pending)
14. October 22 Coalition to Stop Police Brutality (pending)
15. Gender Justice LA (sponsor)
16. Yo Watts (sponsor)
17. Homeboy Industries (sponsor)
18. Anti-Recidivism Coalition (sponsor)
19. New Roads New Visions (sponsor)
20. Journey House (sponsor)
"If unity happens inside the walls of prison, imagine the impacts it will have on our neighborhoods and youth!" -Assata
Event Page Contact: Isaac Barrera . 3233315257 . Isaac@theiyc.org
Media Contact: Julio Marquez email@example.com (323)392-3358